Chivalry IS, in fact, dead when the gentleman no longer understands the meaning behind his chivalrous acts. When actions no longer come from within, but are forced and religious, the inner gentleman dies and so does chivalry.
21 Lost Gentleman Traditions That Still Apply Today
1. He stands when she walks in the room
2. He walks by her on the outside, closest to the street
Today, a gentleman might stand in the way of puddles splashing up from buses, or in the event a car veers onto the sidewalk. Symbolically it might mean he’ll always be by her side, through thick and thin, and will protect her from anything.
3. He opens the door for her
The modern gentleman helps her in and out of the car to stand in the way of creepy gawkers. Opening a door for her is not a sign she is weak, but a gesture of affection.
4. He never criticizes a home-made meal
5. He doesn’t LOL for the sake of attention
6. He pulls out her chair
7. He sits after she sits
8. He helps her put on/take off her coat
Corsets are not common today, but many women still enjoy the help of a gentleman.
9. He doesn’t walk ahead of her
10. He gives up his seat to her if there is only standing room
11. He carries her bags
12. He picks up the check
13. He holds an umbrella over her when it rains
14. He gives her his jacket
15. He keeps her secrets
16. He walks her home or to safety
17. He listens to her
18. He’s on time
19. He compliments her
20. He would never dream of hitting ANY woman
21. He asks her father for her hand in marriage
My name is Melissa Jarboe, military spouse, wounded warrior wife and war widow. Today and everyday moving forward, I will honor the sacrifice of our men and women who selflessly serve our nation.